Side Passé Developpé with the FLX Ball
Posted on 05 August 2015
Practice this exercise to improve and strengthen your side developpé. Make sure to concentrate on the external rotation of the femur(thigh) bone in the hip joint as the leg is lifted to the side. The initial stages of the movement should really focus on keeping a neutral pelvis rather than unnecessary movement in the pelvis.
SETUP: Lie on your right side and place the FLX Ball at your waist to help lift the torso allowing you to work in a neutral spine and effectively engage the abdominals throughout the exercise. The legs are stacked evenly.
- Legs stacked one on top of the other in an external rotation.
- Bend the top leg into a passé with the knee facing the sky.
- Lift the knee towards your shoulder and extend leg up toward the sky in a developpé motion.
- With a straight leg, lower down to your starting position.
REPETITIONS: Repeat 10 times. Reverse the movement.
SETS: 3-5 sets
- Make sure the hips stay stacked on top of one another and don’t rock back or forward.
- Maintain your neutral spine.
- Watch out for tucking of the pelvis to complete the movement.
- Extend through and active the bottom leg.
- Avoid “gripping” in the hip flexors to begin the movement. This happens when the pelvis is not in alignment.
Up for a challenge? Take top hand and place it behind your head with elbow wide.
TARGET MUSCLES: Hip flexors (iliopsoas), hip abductors, and external rotators.
CONTRAINDICATIONS: Pain in the hip flexors or a past hip injury.
| DANCER FOCUS: